Saturday, September 3, 2011

Borough : For All Day NY Comfort Food



     I have been eyeing on Borough since it first opened.  The concept of bringing 24/7 New York comfort food in Manila really fascinated me. Comfort food can be anything to anyone – even if it’s a costly piece of Foie Gras. To me, it usually conveys warm memories of childhood or food that I would like to happily indulge on at anytime of the day. I was in search for one that even the most discerning palates would come back for!

     No matter how simple it may sound, a few classic and home-grown American comfort fares have not yet made its way into our dining scene.  New York has solidly established its reputation for being the Melting Pot of almost everything… including food. When I think of NY cuisine, images of ethnic dishes, street food, carnival food, Chinese take-out, pizzerias, hotdog stands and delis instantly pop in my mind. Borough captures the straightforward, no-frills comfort food that the Big Apple has been known for. 







     The restaurant is appropriately named after the five divisions of New York City. It is uniquely situated along the parking entrance of Podium Mall. Inspired by the bustling city, Borough caters to everyone during the day even up to the wee hours of the night. I loved the vibe inside Borough! It was very cozy and laidback. Although the wooden plank walls gave off a strong country feel to it, a mix of metal and black tables added the much needed balance and sophistication to the place. Also, despite the dim lighting, Borough was brought to life by the tastefully designed floral sofas and chairs. It’s the perfect place for office goers who’d like to unwind after a long days work. 


     It was really a struggle going through the menu because everything seemed so enticing! They didn’t serve the cliché American grub of baby back ribs, sausage, breaded fish, and greasy appetizer samplers. Borough looked beyond the typical. They dug deeper into the wide array of homey American food pairings that have not been popularized here such as Grilled Cheese w/ Tomato Soup, Fried Chicken and Waffles, Steak and Eggs, Milk and Cookies, Sole Amandine, Pulled Pork Sandwich, and Banana Amaretto French Toast. It sounds almost like a kid’s menu intertwined with adult soul food. The list presents some semblance with Mr. Jones menu, except Borough’s dishes seem less complex.
     
     My fellow foodie friend and I were on a pretty tight budget so we only ordered what appealed to us the most. 

Cheese Injected Portobello Pita Pocket (P 320.00)
      This is one of the more popular dishes in Borough. How can anyone not be lured to food that bears the words “Cheese injected”? I bit into the pita pocket making sure that I got a taste of everything in it. The Portobello was meaty and juicy. Monterey Jack was supposedly encased in the breaded mushroom however it didn’t have the kick that I was expecting. As innovative as the dish may seem, the cheese tasted more like a subtle mozzarella. It was too bland to be called a Monterey Jack. 

       The pita pocket was good, but a slight char could’ve improved its taste. One third of the pita pocket was stuffed with a vibrant mix of sautéed zucchini and tomatoes. It’s easily a vegetarian’s dream meal! I enjoyed the layer of lemon mayonnaise that lingered in my mouth in between bites. It somehow cuts the rich flavors of the dish and deliciously complements the veggies. The problem I had was… the flavors became too monotonous as I was about to finish my share. The pita pocket was really crying out for something spicy like a few slices of jalapenos or hot sauce! 


BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwich (P 220.00)
       Thank God for this huge, hearty piece of sandwich perfection! It was mind-blowingly delicious! For the years that I’ve been religiously watching Food Network, BBQ was featured a few times in some of their shows. Among all the glorious Southern BBQ they showcased, my appetite seemed to always gravitate towards the pulled pork sandwich! I vividly imagined zesty BBQ sauce smothered on soft, melts-in-your-mouth pulled pork with the sauce slightly dripping out of the bun. Borough’s version was just what I envisioned! The pork was soft and packed with peppery flavors. It may not be obvious in the photo but they were incredibly generous with the shredded pork! 


     The BBQ sauce was thick and soulful. It was sweet and had strong flavors of vinegar. I felt the nice zest and acidity tingling up to my jaw. The coleslaw added a beautiful crunch to the sandwich while the crispy homemade potato chips were just as addictive. This is the dish that I would definitely come back for again and again! It’s definitely a far cry from Charlie’s less authentic take on pulled pork.


Mom’s Milk and Cookies (P 170.00)

From right to left:
Chocolate Chip Cookie, Spicy Ginger Cookie, Cranberry Nut Oatmeal Cookie

     Borough was really clever to whip up a classic childhood dessert. One that we would never imagine to be in a restaurant’s menu! I loved the idea of trying to put a spin on the traditional cookie.. with the use of more mature flavors like ginger and cranberry. The bottled milk was really a creative touch to the presentation. I felt like a kid again as I dipped the chewy cookies in the shot glass. The experience was delightful! Each piece of freshly made cookies were warm and almost half-baked making them incredibly moist. Among the three flavors, the chocolate chip variant would have to be my favorite. The others were just too gourmet for my taste. The house blended milk was richer and creamier than any other ordinary full-fat milk in the market. Think… melted ice cream! Yum!


    Despite the mixed reviews I’ve seen on other blogs, I can say that I enjoyed my dining experience at Borough. Their wide array of comfort food is the kind that easily appeals to anyone. I just hope that the other dishes could deliver the same magic and comfort that I felt throughout my meal!

BOROUGH
Grd Flr. Podium Mall, 
Ortigas Center, Mandaluyong City
Tel No: 570-8906

3 comments:

  1. BestRepaso.com is calling all foodies, dining connoisseurs or anyone with an appetite for local eateries to share their reviews of Philippine restaurants.

    For each quality review written on the restaurant pages of BestRepaso.com, registered users will be entered into a drawing where two randomly chosen reviewers will each win Php10,000 and a gift card to a local restaurant!

    Reviews should be around 50 to 200 words. Quality modifications to past reviews count (changing a few words don’t count!). And writing reviews for restaurants with no reviews are encouraged.

    You have till Friday, November 30, 2012 to submit reviews. The more you write the better chance you have to win.

    Here's where to start your culinary critiques: BestRepaso.com

    Go to the restaurant page of your choice and start writing!
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

    Complete Rules at http://www.bestrepaso.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. DEMN!!! good job

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Really great effort. Everyone must read this article. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete